Re: [OM] Planned Obsolescence

Subject: Re: [OM] Planned Obsolescence
From: Nicholas Herndon <nherndon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 09:45:38 -0500
>I'll add a point of my own.  Film cameras were able to produce better
>results as films improved.  Digital cameras get better as the sensor
>improves.  But that requires buying a new camera, not a new roll of
>film.

This is an excellent point, Chuck, and is probably what contributes to my
perception of photography as mass consumerism in the US.  I applaud Ricoh
for introducing a modular system, and though (IMO) poorly executed,
hopefully they will pave the way for another company to come in and do it
better.  (Olympus, anyone?)

I'll also agree with Ken here and say that current films are excellent.
Kodak's entire Portra line, Ektar, Fuji's chromes (especially Provia 400X),
and Fuji 800Z are all great films.  I've been shooting Portra 160VC a lot
lately, and am very eager to give that a go in 120.

Moose, I don't really like the idea of having two scanners for one job, but
since flatbeds are so cheap I suppose that's an option.