Re: [OM] Visited Macau

Subject: Re: [OM] Visited Macau
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 15:19:21 -0700
  On 8/15/2010 10:44 AM, Jeff Keller wrote:
> Interesting result from the linear gradient. If a gradient filter were used
> on the lens, a similar but perhaps better affect could have been achieved
> (not linear so maybe compensates the scene better).
>
> Personally I don't like the shadows near the eves lightened. I prefer the
> original with the "dramatic sky". Hey it doesn't have to be an exact
> duplicate of the scene.

Wait a minute! You cut off the next sentence in my post: 'I'm not trying to
make a "better" image, only to show how even
the effect is from side to side and how linear from top to bottom.'

If I were trying to 'Moosterize' the image, it would be quite different from
what I posted. But that would defeat the
point I was trying to make, that the darkening occurs across the whole height
of the image in a steady graduation, not
just near the top, where it is so dramatically obvious, and with considerably
less radial component than vertical. I
tried a radial gradient, and it was FAR less effective.

My point about the building is not what it 'should' look like or how I think it
would look best. The point is that both
lower and upper portions are in the exact same light, so a 'perfect'
photographic exposure would render them with the
same brightness, which is not the case.

It's an attractive building, worthy of a dramatic image. That's just not what
my example was about. I've added a
'click-over' version that I like.

Moose