Re: [OM] [OT] - Advice wanted about 5D2

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] - Advice wanted about 5D2
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2010 08:34:20 -0400
Setting any sort of auto mode doesn't allow you to disengage the brain.  :-)

If you insist on shutter of 1/125 or faster and aperture f/4 or smaller
then you are still required to check (periodically at least) that your
requirements are within the range of the available light.

But you did not mention Auto ISO.  If you are using full automatic mode
or Program mode and you set auto ISO the ISO range is allowed to go up
to ISO 3200 on its own.  I don't have a 5D Mk II but the 5D is pretty
much noiseless up to ISO 400.  I'm sure the 5D Mk II is probably the
same up to ISO 800.  But, of course, it doesn't matter if a noisy ISO is
selected or not if that's what's required to get the shot because you're
not going to get it otherwise.

I rarely shoot the 5D in any kind of automatic mode but when I do I use
evaluative metering mode and have adopted Moose's convention of setting
a -2/3 stop exposure compensation.  That's required to keep the camera
from blowing highlights.  Same with my Minolta A1.  You can't trust it
without the -2/3 compensation.

I don't have any inconsistency problems with exposure with the 5D but,
like all DSLRs these days the metering cells are in the pentaprism area
ala OM-1.  Pull your eye back from the eyepiece too far and you will
expose the metering cells to extraneous light from the eyepiece.  I'm
afraid we've lost the OTF metering cells in the bottom of the mirror box
to "progress".  I one bought a third-party tear-drop eyecup for the 5D
like I used to use on my OM-1 but it wouldn't stay on the camera.

I don't understand problems with the Tokina.  Mine just works.  I don't
know how it compares with other lenses at large apertures but I have
tested it at 28mm against the the Zuiko 28/2.8 at f/5.6 and up.  At
f/5.6 it's slightly softer than the Zuiko but is its equal at f/8 and
smaller.  I considered that good for a 2.8 zoom.  But I would expect the
DZ lenses to perform better at larger apertures.  First, they're newer
designs and... they have to in order to avoid diffraction problems on
4/3 size sensors.  But your 5D Mk II will make up for it by allowing
smaller apertures via higher ISO.

Chuck Norcutt