Re: [OM] ET borrowed my cellphone when calling home

Subject: Re: [OM] ET borrowed my cellphone when calling home
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 18:15:15 -0400
I haven't a clue about proper navigation but I should think an ordinary
compass would work well provided it was corrected for true north.  I
think that's a fiddly process but, for your purposes, maybe not
required.  If you know, for example, that the sun will be setting at 296
degrees (probably close for your location) just wait for the sun to set
and adjust the compass off magnetic north until you get a reading of 296
degrees and note how far you had to move it (maybe a few degrees).  Then
you'll have the correction for the future from that location.  My guess
is that it will probably be close enough that a movement within a radius
of 10 miles or so won't change it much... at least relative to the 1/2
degree apparent diameter of the sun.

Chuck Norcutt