Re: [OM] ET borrowed my cellphone when calling home

Subject: Re: [OM] ET borrowed my cellphone when calling home
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 09:01:00 -0400
Sorry, what I meant is not the entire definition of the Java Virtual
Machine (which gets all wound up in the definition of the language) but
rather the logical underlying hardware.  Aside from the program counter
there are no registers or even an accumulator as would be found on
conventional hardware processors of the last 60 years.

Chuck Norcutt

Dawid Loubser wrote:
> I wouldn't exactly call it "simple" - the Java Virtual Machine has
> evolved over
> the span of almost 20 years into a complex and optimised beast.
>
> Couldn't imagine the world without it :-)
>

> On 26 Jul 2010, at 8:29 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
>
>> I was just thinking about what I wrote about Java and it's not quite
>> correct.  Java actually implements a very simple virtual machine (at
>> the
>> register level) on top of the real machine its running on.
>>
>> Chuck Norcutt
>>

>> Chuck Norcutt wrote:
>>> Not exactly.  Java is a programming language and a fairly low level
>>> one
>>> at that.  Its native code is compiled into object code for the
>>> platform
>>> its running on.  Air does somewhat the same thing except that it
>>> operates at a higher functional level and it can also incorporate
>>> HTML
>>> and other Adobe development tools.  Parts of an Air application
>>> could,
>>> for example, be built using Flash but it doesn't need to be.  The