Re: [OM] photo from Michael Wong in Hong Kong

Subject: Re: [OM] photo from Michael Wong in Hong Kong
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 11:07:14 -0500
Oh, speaking of flight simulators...

I have X-Plane on the iPad. Not too shabby. Simple (subset of the
regular program), but smooth and halfway realistic in flying. That
prop-torque thingy is pretty well mapped, too.

It isn't MFS, but it's not bad. The airplane brakes are a bit strong,
though. If I could actually stop a Cessna 172 as quickly as X-Plane
says I could, there would be smoke roiling up from the wheels, $100
worth of rubber left on the runway and my teeth imbedded in the Lexan
windshield.

One of these days a flight simulator will be realistic about flap
extension at too high of speed. Or maybe trying to raise the gear at
too high of speed. Those old Mooneys had that mechanical gear lever
that you'd slam into place when you raised the gear. But if your speed
was already too high, even a WWE wrestler couldn't do it.

AG