Re: [OM] photo from Michael Wong in Hong Kong

Subject: Re: [OM] photo from Michael Wong in Hong Kong
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 10:55:51 -0500
> Last May, I went to honduras, where we landed at the tegucigalpa airport,
> which I later found out is considered by many to be the world's most
> dangerous airport. It is in a sort of bowl, with mountains on all sides. The
> single runway is paralleled by a city street and apartments. The largest
> that can land and take off there is the 757. There was an interesting DC3
> along the runway that appears to be undergoing restoration.

Micros*ft Flight Simulator has that airport and surrounding mountains
pretty well mapped. The only thing not up to snuff is the nasty
turbulance and downdrafts. I've "flown" that approach more than a few
times (it's one of my usual challenges) and more times than not I'm
either slamming the plane onto the runway or going off the end. When
it gets where I can land anything in there three times in a row I set
up a 20 knot crosswind...  It gets humbling in a hurry.

Of course, one of the fun challenges is taking off from Leadville in a
Cessna 172 at gross in 100 degree temps.  :)  Yeah, that ridge gets
pretty scary.

AG