Re: [OM] Seeking Hard Drive Advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Seeking Hard Drive Advice
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 09:35:21 -0500
Just to echo here... The cheep ones don't last long at all. They seem
to die at young ages from heat.

We were early adopters of CFL bulbs and even at high prices we paid
back ten years ago, they quickly paid for themselves. In our own house
they'd earn their keep in 3-4 months. Fixtures which don't get used
much remained standard bulbs, but everything else is CFL.

Before we moved 2.5 years ago, we were 100% CFL, but this condo has
several fixtures we can't reach, so we left them as regular bulbs, but
have probably run them a grand total of three hours since we moved in.

We REALLY want to convert over to LED lighting sooner rather than
later. The biggest complaint I have with them is decent CI (color
index) as well as overall brightness. They are kinda behind in light
quality, but every couple of months I look at what's coming out and
before too long we'll take the plunge.  Maybe we'll do it in our next
house since we'll have to probably buy a bunch of new bulbs anyway.

As to longevity, I think we're getting around 2X to 3X the life out of
the CFLs as regular bulbs. If the bulbs are upward facing (as in an
end-table lamp) they last a long time, but upside down in a bathroom
fixture they don't take to kindly to and I get maybe 24 months out of
them.

AG