Re: [OM] Seeking Hard Drive Advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Seeking Hard Drive Advice
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 09:48:20 -0700

> ...and you can tell they pay most attention to their processor. There is a
> special hole in
> the side with a tube that goes right over the processor fan/heatsink. The MB
> adjusts main fan speed based on temp up
> near the processor.

That was my experience as well Moose. At first I was afraid that
removing the ducting would reduce the cooling capacity of the CPU
heatsink. I finally removed the ducting and added a 120mm fan on the HD
bays and another pushing air out the back of the case. The result was
the HD's run cooler, the video card runs much cooler and the CPU runs
the same w/ its fan still controlled by the MB. I had already added an
after market cooler to the CPU as the stock cooler provided was rather
anemic. The biggest benefit turned out to be video card. Much reduced
the mysterious video errors I had been getting. Downside is a bit more
noise.

Mike