Re: [OM] Seeking Hard Drive Advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Seeking Hard Drive Advice
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 09:03:24 -0700
> From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> ... On the other hand, the change from horizontal to vertical
> recording was a dramatic change of the entire technology... and no one
> had ever been there before.  Even so, I'd avoid 2TB drives in favor of 1
> or 1.5TB for a while. :-)

I thought everything bigger than 750GB used vertical recording? Isn't 2TB just
an increment on 1/1.5? I don't think there's new technology in there, just an
elaboration of previous technology.

Progress: you can't stop it -- that's nature's job -- so you might as well
pretend to enjoy it while it lasts, which might not be too much longer.

On that note, I just bought my first video recorder in almost 20 years. The
last one I bought cost nearly $2,000, and half of it (the camera) sat on your
shoulder and the other half (the VHS recorder) hung from your other shoulder.
The new one fits in your palm, puts five hours of 720p high-definition video on
something the size of a large postage stamp, and cost $159 (refurb), or as I
prefer to think of things these days, about half a Zuiko 35mm shift lens.

I think the next video recorder I get will be called "memories." It features
totally private playback, no copy protection, and free media. But it's a lossy
medium with fault-prone error correction coding. :-)