Re: [OM] Seeking Hard Drive Advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Seeking Hard Drive Advice
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 08:33:21 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jan Steinman" <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>> From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>
>> No, a good design LED lamp drive has little power lost, I believe in
>> the 10%
>> range...
>
> You have to be careful about what you're measuring and how you measure
> it.
>
> In terms of total *luminance* efficiency -- total amount of light
> emitted per power consumed -- fluorescent lights are better than LED
> lights. But fluorescent lights emit light in all directions, and
> require a lens or reflector if you want that light concentrated.
>
> In terms of total *illuminance* efficiency -- total amount of light
> striking a constrained area per power consumed -- LEDs are better than
> fluorescent lights. But LEDs have a built-in reflector and lens, and
> require a diffuser if you want light over a large area.
>
> My rule of thumb: use fluorescent lights for area lighting, and LEDs
> for task lighting.

I was talking about the lamp dirver, I have no actual figure of LED to
fluorescent light efficiency compare data. Checking with some current
product data the energy efficient of both are similar for the same type of
application but LED lamp last much longer.

http://www.osram.com/osram_com/Consumer/Home_Lighting/Alternatives_to_light_bulbs/index.html

I belive in near future, LED lamp will replace the compact fluorescent lamps
but may leave the higher power fluorescnet lamp (the long tube) for a while.

>> Low
>> power lamp is very important to us, we use air conditioner in
>> summer, every
>> watt of power dissipated by lamp will be doubled.
>
> Perhaps not quite that bad. If your air conditioner is good, it might
> have a SEER rating of 3 -- which means (roughly) that it will remove 3
> watts of heat for every watt it consumes.

This one I didn't know, thanks for that information.

C.H.Ling