Re: [OM] IMG: Art

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Art
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 19:57:42 -0500
> Actually, as I commented here the other day, I wouldn't be surprised if
> the E-5 never sees the light of day.  I think Oly has found their niche
> and it's micro 4/3.  But Panasonic and those other folks with bigger
> sensors could take it away from them.

The E-5 WILL happen and soon. Frankly, it would not surprise me if
Olympus comes out with two E-3 replacement cameras at or near the same
time.

BTW, Micro FourThirds uses the exact same sensor size as regular
FourThirds. Panasonic's bigger sensor in the GH1 is a multiformat
sensor which allows the full image-circle to be captured regardless of
square, 3/2, 4/3 or 16:9 format. Currently all other FourThirds
sensors are 4/3 ratio and the other image formats are cropped out of
that. This larger sensor will be standard on all higher-end FourThirds
cameras.

Maybe even a larger sensor which covers vertical as well as horizontal
formats might make an appearance too. We'll see. There's no guessing
what major surprise Olympus has in store for us with the E-3
replacement(s).

AG