Re: [OM] IMG: Art

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Art
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2010 14:43:50 -0700
  On 7/1/2010 2:12 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
> My trip to the airport turned up two different forms of "art".
>
> Nose Art:  http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Nose+Art.jpg.html

Nice subject and capture.

In the processing, however, it has gained a huge sharpening halo. I've done a
quick and dirty example to show the
problem. I simply made the sky all the average color, so there is no natural
variation, and the border is sloppy on the
horizon.

Still, the problem should be clear.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Nichols/NoseArt.htm>

Sharpening, LCE, Shadow/Highlight can cause this. Brilliance, Presence, Clarity
and other such sliders in many apps,
which are largely LCE, may also cause it.

The only way to get the desired effect in parts of the image and avoid the
halos is to apply the effect selectively. In
editors with levels and masks, it's pretty straightforward, select sky and make
it a mask layer on top. In others, the
means of applying an effect are sometimes non-existent or vary in how they work.

> Tail Art:  http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Tail+Art.jpg.html

Nice piece of industrial art, well captured.

Moose