Re: [OM] Live view operation, was: E-thingy body recommendation

Subject: Re: [OM] Live view operation, was: E-thingy body recommendation
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 13:28:32 -0700
On 6/30/2010 1:07 PM, Rickard Nilsson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use my E-520 almost exclusively with OM Zuikos and almost exclusively in
> manual exposure mode. It flips the mirror down and then up before every
> exposure.

Have you tried 'Imager AF' mode for the Live View? "in the new 'Imager
AF' mode the camera focuses by using contrast detection on the imaging
sensor (just like a digital compact camera). You can choose one of
eleven AF areas (as opposed to only three when using the camera's AF
sensor). Please note that only a limited number of lenses are currently
compatible with this AF mode. "
- <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse520/page7.asp>

> It is very annoying, since it causes a very notable shutter delay.

Using Imager AF for the LV setting should stop the mirror dance. There
will still be lag from the AF in AF mode, as the contrast detection AF
is slow. DPR doesn't address MF in this LV mode, but there is no reason
for a delay that I can see.

So try it out.

> This issue alone is a major reason for me to consider a micro 4/3 camera,

To repeat part of my last post, DPR agrees at least in part :

"Ultimately, these drawbacks (and there are drawbacks to all DSLR live view
systems) restrict the usefulness of live view. There are some specific
applications in which it can be useful (such as tripod work and Macro
shooting), but if you want seamless compact-camera-style live view, you need a
compact camera or a  mirrorless interchangeable lens camera, such as the
Panasonic G1 or Olympus E-P1, which have been designed specifically to use live
view as their primary interface."

> but I'm not entirely fond of the E-P2, so I'll put up with the E-520 for now.
> Maybe I should look into hacking its firmware...

Try Imager AF mode first.

Moose