Re: [OM] Live view operation, was: E-thingy body recommendation

Subject: Re: [OM] Live view operation, was: E-thingy body recommendation
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 13:00:33 -0700
On 6/30/2010 12:26 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> No metering involved if the camera is set to manual exposure control. And
> autofocus can be performed with the mirror up buy using contrast detect
> autofocus on the E-420, E-520, E-620 and E-30.  But again, manual focus can
> be performed on any of them with live view.  My question specifically
> requested detail of operation in manual focus and manual exposure control ...

You are looking in the wrong place. Apparently Oly doesn't care to
explain how the more advanced parts of their cameras work. (I'm relying
on your perusal of the "manuals".) As AG has said, Oly seems to have
identified their target buyers, and it ain't us. Or maybe ... it is some
of us, as none of the E-thingie users here seemed to know the answers? ;-)

DPReview, however, continues on its mission to be highly informative:

"The E-620 allows you to choose which method it uses to autofocus when
in live view. 'AF Sensor' mode uses the camera's phase-detection AF
sensor, just as it does when you're not using live view. This limits you
to the 7 conventional AF points and means that your live view preview
won't be in focus (until you press the AEL/AFL button to flip the mirror
down and focus the camera).

Alternatively you can select 'Imager AF,' which uses the imaging sensor
to perform contrast-detection AF, which is a little slower to achieve a
lock but means that you can grab the shot as soon as it's focused
(rather than having to wait for the mirror to drop, AF be achieved and
the mirror rise again, as is the case in AF Sensor mode). There's also a
hybrid mode that attempts to make the best of both systems. Even so,
whichever mode you use will introduce the kinds of delays that you
simply won't be used to encountering either on compact cameras or when
using a DSLR through the viewfinder.

Ultimately, these drawbacks (and there are drawbacks to all DSLR live
view systems) restrict the usefulness of live view. There are some
specific applications in which it can be useful (such as tripod work and
Macro shooting), but if you want seamless compact-camera-style live
view, you need a compact camera or a mirrorless interchangeable lens
camera, such as the Panasonic G1 or Olympus E-P1, which have been
designed specifically to use live view as their primary interface."

They don't directly address MF, but it seems clear that if the mirror
doesn't come down in Imager AF mode, it won't other in in MF, either.

They have even gone so far as to post videos of the various modes in
action, so you can see how long the functions take and what the screen does.

E-420 <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse420/page7.asp>

The E-30 review Live View page section about LV modes is the same as the
E-420 and the E-520 looks identical to me.

E-620 <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse620/page8.asp>

Moose