Re: [OM] E-thingy body recommendation

Subject: Re: [OM] E-thingy body recommendation
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 14:40:08 -0700
On 6/29/2010 1:19 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback.  The G7 is definitely a contender.  But Wrotniak
> says the C-5050 is actually capable of getting down to 2.5 cm wide in its
> "super macro" mode.

The calculations in my post were based on the dpreview test. The
Super-Macro test shots there disagree with Wrotniak. The caption says
3.2 x 2.4 cm and the image of a ruler covers 3.1 cm.
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusc5050z/page16.asp>
The Imaging Resource test says 'In "Super Macro" mode, it did quite a
bit better, with a minimum capture area of only 1.29 x 0.97 inches (33 x
25 mm).' The Super-Macro test image agrees.
<http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/C5050/FULLRES/C55MACS.HTM>

The other review sources I use either don't have a review or don't
mention field coverage.

If Wrotniak is correct, the resolution numbers I calculated would
certainly change. Unfortunately, his sample shots don't include a ruler.
;-)

Perhaps Dave has a ruler he could photograph.

> But the G7 was built a couple of years later and is 10 MP instead of 5 so
> definitely wins the pixel war.  It also has a larger screen.  Both the A1 and
> the C-5050, however, have tilting screens.

Usually, that's big deal for me. In a specialized use like this, I
assume some sort fixed of copy setup would be used. Depending on the
configuration, it might or might not make any difference. I wouldn't be
using this anyway. I'd just pop the 5D on the copy stand with 90/2.8
Macro or Oly 80/4 Auto on bellows.

The 2.5", 207,000 pixel screen of the G7, vs. 1.8", 114,000 would
certainly be an advantage for focusing

Come to think of it, the G7 works with Canon's rather nice Remote
Capture software [Sadly dropped on the G11 :-( ]. That would be just
great for this use. Set up copy stuff next to computer and operate it
from the big screen. And again, the higher viewfinder resolution would help.

The C-5050 may have a tethered mode? I will leave the mysteries of Oly
software to others.

> I already think the A1 is out for this application.  Its 28-200 equivalent
> lens makes for a better general purpose camera than the C-5050 but without
> some additional optical aid the A1 can't do better
> than about 4.8 cm as best horizontal coverage.  It takes a +4 and a +2
> closeup lens to get it down to 2.8 cm.  There are other ways to skin the cat
> but why if the G7 and C-5050 do the job without any extra help.

Yeah, there are only a few digicams with all the desired characteristics.

Moose