Re: [OM] IMG: The Gap

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: The Gap
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 03:02:12 -0700
On 6/14/2010 4:23 AM, Dawid Loubser wrote:
> Chuck and Joel, you are right that the focus was very intentionally not on
> the face.
>
> This was not a portrait, and if my 90mm could have opened up to 1.4 I would
> have. Both the identity of the man, as well as the car, are meant to be vague
> and suggestive.
>
> It's all about the juxtaposition for me. Only the man's shoes, and
> (partially) the coins and notes he has gathered though his begging, are in
> focus.

If it's a social/artistic statement and about juxtaposition, I'd simply
make him all soft, so shadow and lack of focus combine to symbolize his
non-existence to the world of light and privilege.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Loubser/The_Gap.htm>

Yeah, I know it's counter to normal DOF, and hard to do in the wet
darkroom. Still ;-)

> Moose, you make strong points as ever, and of course it's all about *intent*
> at the end of the day. I can probably think of a number of philosophical
> reasons why I chose to focus on his lower legs and his
> money, both the things that will "carry" him in this divided world. On the
> other hand, taking that too far can sound too pretentious, as an image like
> this is composed and focused in literally a second or
> two.

Yeah, starting to sound like an Artist's Statement. :-)

> Suffice it to say, that the focus is precisely where I wanted it :-)

Excellent.

Moose