Re: [OM] left/right handed cameras and ergonomics, et al.

Subject: Re: [OM] left/right handed cameras and ergonomics, et al.
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 22:46:38 +0200
Bill, I never could understand your animosity towards the RB67, it's
such a lovely, cantankerous old camera, versatile to the extreme,
satisfying "ker-shlunk" sound when you fire the shutter, extreme
close focusing with all normal and wide lenses, some of the first
lens ranges in the industry to include floating systems throughout,
and best of all - so cheap for what you get.

I have no problems lugging mine around, but I can see why most people
wouldn't, it's not made for that.

My point is, I find it immensely satisfying in a quirky kind of way,
it's
like it's everything the svelte OM system is not, a complete opposite.

6x6cm has its charms, but not so much for me, I love how a 6x7cm
negative
fits almost perfectly on enlarging paper without cropping, resulting in
prints which will, for the same aspect ratio, almost always have better
resolution than a cropped hasselblad negative, even though the 'blad
lenses
are generally a little bit better.

I say "generally", because certain lenses like the Mamiya 140mm Macro
(my favourite) perform beyond mere words, it will take on the best lens
of any system, medium format or 35mm.

It's a very personal thing, but I think the RB67 oozes with impractical
character and satisfaction :-) A Hasselblad doesn't "do it" for me in
the
same way at all.

have fun,
Dawid