Re: [OM] IMG: Microcosmos

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Microcosmos
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 13:37:01 -0500
On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 2:43 AM, Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> That is really gorgeous, Philippe. Many on the list will not like it,
> but I am a shallow DOF freak, especially when still-recognisable objects
> are rendered very much out-of-focus in juxtaposition to the in-focus
> subject.

This seems rather binary, Dawid.  You seem to be assuming that because
some people don't like shallow DOF as much as you, which is true, that
they won't like Philippe's image at all.  That doesn't make sense to
me.  I'm no "shallow DOF freak" but I like the photo very much.

One reason may be that in macro, DOF is already limited, so a shallow
DOF is a given of that type of photography.  If you enjoy macro, by
definition you enjoy a limited range of DOF.  It is in "normal"
photography when greater DOF is possible that some people (I being
one) do not always prefer very shallow DOF, though sometimes I like it
just fine, depending on the subject.

> You have accomplished that here splendidly. The ZD 35mm Macro may be
> one of
> the worst-built lenses of all time, with one of the worst focusing
> systems
> ever (you have to spin the feedback-less electronic focus ring around
> about
> 20 times to get the thing to 1:1) but boy, it does have it where it
> counts
> - the optics. Many claim it to be a better performer than the ZD 50mm
> f/2.0
> Macro at these distances.

You're referring to focus by wire?  In an AF system, this is perfectly
reasonable as a way to make moderately priced lenses.  I don't care
how it does its job as long as it does it.  In fact, without the
mechanical drag of a traditional focusing mechanism it is actually
easier to get precise focus with such a lens while using Live View.
There is no good reason to apply traditional manual focusing
assumptions to the operation of these lenses.  Within the system as a
whole, they work very well.

Just curious, but you HAVE actually used an Olympus digital SLR at
some point, haven't you?

Anyway, agreed on the optics!

Joel W.