Re: [OM] Demise of the Gs? [was Oly 9-18 vs Panasonic 7-14: any experien

Subject: Re: [OM] Demise of the Gs? [was Oly 9-18 vs Panasonic 7-14: any experience out there?]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 20:05:25 -0700
On 5/10/2010 3:27 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
> Maybe you missed my point that I feel that the G11 is a very nice camera.
> Personally, I like the S90 more, but for very specific reasons.

They are both nice and I can understand why Canon made both. I wouldn't
mind having both.

> The G11 is the "King of the Hill" which it stands on. No doubt about that.
> But for a year now, there is another hill which has gotten quite popular for
> the same type of person that was buying the G-series. The upswing in sales
> for the Micro FourThirds products is taking a direct bite out of the sales of
> the G11.

Is that based on demonstrable fact, or rumor an conjecture. I'm not
arguing or claiming you are wrong. I'm simply curious, as I wouldn't
know how to ascertain that.

I'm sort of mystified at how one can see the µ4/3 cameras and the G
series as the same sort of thing. I can put my G11 in a horizontal case
on my belt with quick draw flap (A Nikon case, as Canon for some reason
didn't make a proper belt case for the G11.) It's out of the way until I
want it, then instantly available. It also fits nicely in the pocket of
my favorite light windbreaker, secure, but instantly to hand. It also
fits in the outside pockets of my parkas.

None of that it true of any of the µ4/3 cameras except perhaps in the
bellows pockets of parkas when fitted with one of the small prime
lenses. I got all excited when they came out, several times, as various
models surfaced. But sober judgment based on holding them made it clear
that they are a different class than the G11, LX3 and S90.

Once I've got to carry a camera around my neck or in a bag on shoulder
or hip, the whole dynamic changes. For me, it then might as well be any
small DSLR. If they were comparable in size/weight and lens collapsing
into the body, I'd likely have a µ4/3, although the G11 has made me
something of a fan of the greater DOF of a small sensor for CUs.

> Had my requirement matched yours, Moose, I too would have gotten the G11 (or
> even the G10 as it is actually a bit better at base-ISO in resolution, and
> even at the higher ISOs, the noise is present but smaller in the resulting
> prints. The G11, in spite of the noise tests isn't really that much better
> than the G10. Both handle very well.

The G10 doesn't have an articulated screen. That may not matter to you
and some others, but is a HUGE thing to me. It offered way too little
other advantage over the G9/A650 to be of interest to me.

I also did some comparison of identical studio shots and didn't find any
compelling advantage in overall IQ. As AG might say, it isn't ALL about
noise. For example, when I compared G11 to F30, the F30 still, after all
this time, is a slightly lower noise 6 MP camera than the G11
downsampled. However, G11 images are better in pretty much every other way.

> As it is, I've managed to avoid getting any of the above. Of all things, I
> just spent money on a several year old L1. Go figure.  Shows that I don't
> know much or I'm completely illogical.

Makes perfect sense to me, given what I know about your views. Logic in
choices is always based on premises and weighting of factors.

Moose