Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 14: sunshine, mountains, meat

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 14: sunshine, mountains, meat
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 00:37:37 +1200
Nathan wrote

> This week I offer you Sierra Nevada, Lithuanian Easter eggs, lots of
> sunshine and other good things:

Congratulations on producing such a beautiful daughter ... !

I am amazed at the distances you are able to drive in a day.  A little while
ago I read your story on taking your son to the Univ at Bath; 1800 km in
about one day as I recall.

Perhaps the roads are heaps better than what I drive over, and surely the
upper speed limit is higher than for us.

On your ski trip as chauffeur, you did 2 x 400 km, and made time for people
to ski; a really long day that would have been.

My weekly commute, as I move belongings to Clyde, is 500 km each way; It
takes me about 7 hours just driving;  I usually have one, maybe 2 food and
legs-stretch stops on the way. The official speed limit is 100 kph ( around 60
mph), and I usually drive at around 90 - 95  kph in the interests of fuel
economy; It really pays off as I get 32.5 mpg diesel ( imperial gallon)  that
way, in a vehicle rated at 2 tonnes without my load..

I really should do a photo blog of the roads I drive over.  I next drive south
on Thursday with a full load of stuff.  The trip for the week after that is
planned to be with a tandem-axle solid-cover furniture trailer (two axles
close together).

I meant to comment a week or so ago, but there is opportunity to do so
again now as you photographed some; where I live there is definitely not a
dominant culture that appreciates a multitude of kinds of sausages.
Sausages are regarded by many people with quite a lot of suspicion - after
all one never knows "just what stuff" is put into them :-(
However, more recent immigrants from Europe are not so hesitant.

I remember when I was a student in the UK and we did study tours one of
which took us to Switzerland. it was obviously a special repast the locals put
out for us at one place; all kinds of fancy meat cuts etc.  We couldn't
understand what all the fuss was about. Sorry to say, their offering just was
not appreciated.

Interesting to see more of the rugged terrain of Spain. I like that.

What's the plural of Ibex?  Ibices?   Just joking :-)  Great to see them.

Brian Swale.