Re: [OM] Best of Both Worlds

Subject: Re: [OM] Best of Both Worlds
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 07:22:52 -0400
I was a bit surprised to discover on my first use of my Alien Bees with
ebay radio triggers that the max sync speed with my 5D was 1/160 rather
than 1/200.  I didn't bother testing any further or at different power
levels since the sync speed wasn't important.  (The camera was on a
tripod with the flash units on the opposite side of a stained glass
window in a church).  I think I found the same speed limit using
off-camera portable flashes such as the Canon 540EZ and Oly T-32.

I've since switched to Alien Bee triggers but haven't done any sync
speed testing since I got them.  But I should since I do use the Bees
for fill flash on large family group shots.  I don't know if the speed
limit is due to the flash units or the triggers or both.  Thanks for the
reminder.

Chuck Norcutt