Re: [OM] Best of Both Worlds

Subject: Re: [OM] Best of Both Worlds
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 15:19:28 -0700
On 3/17/2010 6:48 AM, Ken Norton wrote:

> ... Not all Canon cameras are so afflicted with color blindness. Some are,
> some aren't. I'm not going to give you any hints, though as to whether yours
> is or isn't.  If you haven't figured out the limitations of your camera by
> now, you never will.  :)
>
> But I will say this--the classic 5D ain't no slouch.

In so many ways ...

And specifically, I've not had much trouble with violets.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Miscellaneous&image=_MG_6318cr2ia.jpg>
-
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Miscellaneous&image=_MG_6513ia.jpg>

>> There is a more general solution available in post. Later version of PS
>> include a color match function, which was, I believe included for exactly
>> the sort of issues you are talking about. The problem of the
>> flowers and dress that should match are exactly what many color production
>> people have to control.
> You are absolutely right. However, here's the rub--it requires post
> processing with masking on each and every photograph that you need to
> correct. For the landscape/flower photographer, it's no big deal as the
> quantity of photos from any one session are not that great. But for the
> wedding photographer, we might be talking about 500 photographs that need to
> be corrected.
>
> At issue is that you cannot automate the process in many situations. The
> imager/film converted the lavender or purple flower to blue. But there are
> other blue objects in the same photograph. When you do a color match to
> correct for the flowers, the other objects will also shift. This forces us
> into masking.

Yup. Not saying that it's a very practical solution for that kind of
situation. On the other hand, with film and cameras that have the
failing, it seems to me that having ONE solution available is better
than NONE.

Multi Color Moose