Re: [OM] Best of Both Worlds

Subject: Re: [OM] Best of Both Worlds
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 19:01:45 -0500

> The major improvement that TruePic V has over TruePic III+ is that the
> new processor can remove noise more effectively. This is important
> since we expect users to be shooting at high ISO sensitivities in
> low-light conditions. Also, TruePic V is able to render the colour
> purple more faithfully, instead of showing it as blue which some image
> engines. We are very confident of TruePic V, and we think it can
> deliver better-looking pictures than some of our own dSLRs."

They would be able to accomplish this through a modified algorithm involving
the mix-minus of the two green channels. The Panasonic sensors used in the
E-system use two different color green sensors and Panasonic has been
faithful in maintaining the secondary bump in the red pixels. Purples are
much more repressed in the Panasonic-sensored cameras than the E-1, but the
purple is still there to a limited extent.

Whether this means the RAW files are affected is to be seen. It all depends
on if the processing is done before the RAW file is written or on the JPEGs.
>From what I've been seeing, though, I think most of this is being done
post-RAW which means that if you use any raw converter other than Olympus,
you're still hosed.

AG (blue mood) Schnozz