Re: [OM] Best of Both Worlds

Subject: Re: [OM] Best of Both Worlds
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 12:01:32 -0500

> Thanks for the kind words, Ken.  Yes, the E-1 does make things easier for
> me.

This weekend, a friend of mine and I did some controlled testing of dynamic
range between cameras. I'm going to be doing more testing this week with
various Canon models too.

What was clearly evident over and over again was how the E-1 maintained
color integrity from the highest usable bit to the lowest usable bit. The
E-3 had a notable color shift (towards green) in the shadows and even though
the maximum color bit was the same exposure level as the E-1, the saturation
was different and the roll-off to maximum brightness was not as smooth.

Our conclusions were that the E-1 is still producing more consistent images
with less effort than the E-3. BTW, we also tested the Minolta A1 and the
Panasonic Fuzzy-50.  We were amazed at how well the panny held up and at
base ISO, it actually outperformed the E-3 by not a small margin.

Obviously, the resolution of the E-1 is a bit lacking... (a bit???), and at
extremely high ISOs, the noise is a bit rambunctious, but we did conclude
that my lackluster E-1 is fully acceptable for our joint wedding work for
2010.  (It gets to survive and see another day!)

So, to summarize...  The E-1 has no color shift from brightest highlights to
deepest shadows. Even the noise is uniform in color.

I'm looking forward to the Canon tests. I'm expecting good things from them
too.

AG