Re: [OM] 38mm macro and focus screens

Subject: Re: [OM] 38mm macro and focus screens
From: "Sawyer, Edward" <Ed.Sawyer@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 12:32:35 -0500
I had the 20/2 macro for a while (even more magnification than the 38), with
the 1-11 and 1-12 screens. For macro, I found the 1-12 the better of the two,
though as mentioned it likely wouldn't show tilt effects.

1-11 may be useful but it's challenging - since part of it is a normal screen,
the outer part of it gets rather dark. The center spot (which is quite a bit
smaller than the spot on the 1-12) is bright.

Both 1-11 and 1-12 require a dialed-in diopter to be of any use. Varimagni
would apply here, or the diopter built into the 4T. But you really need the
diopter exactly dialed in - impossible to really focus it otherwise.

Even tilting at max tilt the DOF is still going to be shallow, but better than
w/o tilt probably.

I'd probably go for the 1-12 and just max out the tilt in applications that
require it, and not worry about not being able to accurately preview the DOF.

-Ed