[OM] 38mm macro and focus screens

Subject: [OM] 38mm macro and focus screens
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 19:41:17 -0500
Thank you Ed and Don for your comments.    Longer focal length
diminishes  the effect of tilt   on shifting the plane of focus.  I
have no clue if magnification has any effect  on this though the total
angular  dof  I suspect  may diminish.  Wonder if Dr. Focus is in Fla.
  It would be nice to see this effect in the VF, but if the subject is
not properly focused, all is lost anyway.  The 1-12 is weird-- largely
clear but doesn't alter metering.
Sometimes wish I could swap screens with a dial.
Mike

I had the 20/2 macro for a while (even more magnification than the 38),
with
the 1-11 and 1-12 screens. For macro, I found the 1-12 the better of
the two,
though as mentioned it likely wouldn't show tilt effects.

1-11 may be useful but it's challenging - since part of it is a normal
screen,
the outer part of it gets rather dark. The center spot (which is quite
a bit
smaller than the spot on the 1-12) is bright.

Both 1-11 and 1-12 require a dialed-in diopter to be of any use.
Varimagni
would apply here, or the diopter built into the 4T. But you really need
the
diopter exactly dialed in - impossible to really focus it otherwise.

Even tilting at max tilt the DOF is still going to be shallow, but
better than
w/o tilt probably.

I'd probably go for the 1-12 and just max out the tilt in applications
that
require it, and not worry about not being able to accurately preview
the DOF.

-Ed