Re: [OM] [OT] leica M 50mm lens wanted

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] leica M 50mm lens wanted
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 08:46:03 +1100
You are trapped, I tell you - trapped!
First you will get a better 50mm. Then you will realise that you
'must' have either a very early double stroke M3 with the g;ass
pressure plate (or was it ceramic?) or a late single stroke model over
1 million serial number with the rapid load conversion. It's a
slippery slope that ends with an M9, a suite of unbelievably expensive
lenses and bankruptcy.

For new lenses I'd recommend the CosVoigt 50mm f1.5 Nokton  or the
40mm f1.4 M mount. Both good lenses and you can find them used.
Old Leica Summicrons almost always have some 'cleaning marks'. If you
just want to play, the Jupiter 8M (late black) has a good reputation
and costs around $30-40. The Industar 61 L/D is cheaper,  known for
high contrast and sharpness - often comes on a broken Fed 5 - but get
the 55mm version (not 52 or 53mm) Don't pay more than $20 and note
that the L/Z version is M42 mount, not the M39 that you need. The
Jupiter 12 35mm f2.8 is a good lens too but more expensive.

To use a screw mount you need an adaptor - it has to be the right type
for each lens with an M3 to bring up the correct frame line. Genuine
50mm adaptors are pricey as there's a demand but you can get cheap
Chinese versions off ebay.
<http://cgi.ebay.com/M39-Lens-to-LEICA-L-M-Camera-50-75-Ring-Mount-Adapter_W0QQitemZ280398824836

Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx