Re: [OM] OT - new monitor setup - UPDATE

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - new monitor setup - UPDATE
From: Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 09:14:14 -0600
John Hermanson wrote:
> I still have my vinyl 2 disc set of Ginger Bakers Air Force.
>
> Surely an amazing drummer.  According to his own words he lives in
> seclusion in South Africa and is known in the area as a drug user /
> dealer. When Cream did their short reunion tour, he was regularly
> screaming at Jack Bruce on stage for playing too loud.

This irritates me.  I'm friends with a number of musicians, including
several that were quite big in the '80's.

Most rock stars go through the wild booze-and-drugs phase, but then
realize it's killing them and eventually sober up.  At that point, they
realize they feel better, play better.  The ones I know are generally
still a lot of fun to be around, but with the added attraction of not
being whacked out on blow and whiskey.

I guess I don't understand the mechanics of addiction, but one would
think if you saw most of your peers flame out in a drug-addled crash,
you'd think twice about what you're doing to yourself.

Look at Entwistle.  He saw what happened to Moon and several of his
other friends, yet he died in a Vegas hotel room after a night of Remy
Martin, hookers and blow.  Makes for good headlines, I suppose, but what
a tragic waste of a phenomenal talent.

On the other end, Entwistle's friend Joe Walsh is a great example of
someone who pulled himself through.  Nobody partied harder than Walsh
over the years, but he saw what was happening and got help.  He's been
completely clean and sober for almost 15 years now.

--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life" - Harlan Howard