Re: [OM] HDDs & BU [was OT - new monitor setup]

Subject: Re: [OM] HDDs & BU [was OT - new monitor setup]
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 10:31:06 +1100
But so few are reused in that way and, of course, such reuse is
heavily discouraged because of risk of accidental poisoning as you
note. The cost is in the manufacture rather than the material, I
suspect - very energy hungry. And an aluminium can is even more
extreme. Yes it can be recycled but the cost of original manufacture
and then the cost of the remelt is extraordinary - someone once
referred to aluminium as 'frozen energy'.
But the most worrisome idea, for me, is that people have little idea
of the cost of the container.
(Confession - I must atone -my father worked in packaging all his life
- it paid for my upbringing).
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx