Re: [OM] OT - new monitor setup - UPDATE

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - new monitor setup - UPDATE
From: khen lim <khen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 22:13:23 +0800
True - can't fault what you said. Still doesn't nullify the fact that after
all these years of uber-technology in all things surrounding life, we're
still left with messy cables everywhere, that attract dust and makes things
dirty at the back of systems.

With audiophile standard systems, I can understand the reluctance to
compromise. I have a studio setup here that runs enough cables to go around
the globe (just kidding - but you get the idea) and some of these are
attenuating cables worth thousands of dollars on their own.

But I don't see the same concern about audio quality when it comes to the
personal computer or printer or mouse or graphic display or ext HDD etc. Or
do you think the same level of degradation will also occur in the computing
environment that will cause us some grief?

K.

2010/1/2 Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> The problem I have with wireless speaker systems is that I'm not willing
> to accept the compromise in audio quality.  Consumer-grade transmitters
> don't have the frequency range or dynamic range necessary to replace
> wires.  Plus, you have to have AC outlets available by every surround
> speaker, so there's still wires involved, just not runs back to the amp.
>
> I would rather have the surround lines run through the basement ceiling
> and back up the rear wall, as I do, then have to worry about supplying
> AC power to those speakers.
>
> I dislike wireless headphones for the same reason - it's an
> audio-quality compromise I'm not willing to make.
>
> However, for a general public that's perfectly happy with cheap,
> disposable cameras and listening to highly-compressed mp3 audio on tiny
> earbuds, I guess it's a viable solution.
>
> --
>

> Paul Braun
> Valparaiso, IN
>
> "It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins
>
> "Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon
>
> "The Fountain of Youth is a state of mind." - The Ides of March
>
> "Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life" - Harlan Howard
> --

Khen Lim - Zone-10 LLC, Des Moines, Iowa, USA

"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards of people” - Emily
Cox
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them" - Walt
Disney