Re: [OM] OT - new monitor setup - UPDATE

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - new monitor setup - UPDATE
From: Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2010 08:08:08 -0600
khen lim wrote:

> PS: I heard but saw little to no marketing about Sony's cable-less home
> theatre system. This was a system where there are no speaker cables routed
> back to the amp. What ever happened to it? Were there any competitors?

The problem I have with wireless speaker systems is that I'm not willing
to accept the compromise in audio quality.  Consumer-grade transmitters
don't have the frequency range or dynamic range necessary to replace
wires.  Plus, you have to have AC outlets available by every surround
speaker, so there's still wires involved, just not runs back to the amp.

I would rather have the surround lines run through the basement ceiling
and back up the rear wall, as I do, then have to worry about supplying
AC power to those speakers.

I dislike wireless headphones for the same reason - it's an
audio-quality compromise I'm not willing to make.

However, for a general public that's perfectly happy with cheap,
disposable cameras and listening to highly-compressed mp3 audio on tiny
earbuds, I guess it's a viable solution.

--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life" - Harlan Howard