Re: [OM] OT - Maxwell Smart

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - Maxwell Smart
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 16:17:27 -0800
Fernando Gonzalez Gentile wrote:
> Having read the consensus reached by C.H., Moose, Joel, Candace, Ken, and
> forgive me if I forget to mention anyone else ... I'm studying how to get rid
> of SmartWare.

Control Panel=>Add/Remove Programs=>Remove SmartWare

> It's even more clumsy than agent 86: I deleted all the folders into which
> some 10 files were not backed up, but it  insisted on that there was one, yes
> only one, which I had deleted but remained impossible to back up.

Are you messing around in the root and/or system folders? There are
Windoze work files there which shouldn't be backed up anyway, and will
be automagically recreated by Windoze if you delete them.

> I still don't know how to uninstall Mr. Don Adams,

See above.

> but I'm being warned that I will loose these nice features of my WD
> functionality:
>
> - The capacity gauge is illuminated only if the WD SmartWare software is
> installed and
> running on your computer.
>
> - The power button only works if SmartWare is installed.
> Note: After you power off the drive using the power button, if it remains
> connected to your computer, you need to press the power button again to
> turn it
> back on. If you disconnected the drive after turning it off, when you
> reconnect it
> to your booted-up computer, it automatically powers on.
>
> I can hardly understand what the note means :-(

1. You will lose a useless gauge and another useless start-up item that
just uses up desktop space and memory.

2. You don't need a power button. Especially as it isn't a real power
button at all if it only works when the computer is running and the
driver installed,. One key point of an external back-up is to truly
isolate data from the computer OS, viruses, etc. If the HD is "off", but
internally powered up enough to respond to a soft button, someone could
write a virus (there are a LOT of WD drives out there to tempt them)
that activates the HD via the driver and accesses the data.

3. The back-up disk should be disconnected and kept apart from the
computer when not in actual use, anyway. That way, loss of computer
doesn't include data and programs.

If you really want to know what's going on with your HDs, install
HDTune, a great free utility. If you just want to know how full it is,
right click in Explorer and select Properties. You get detailed numbers
and a pie chart.

Moose