Re: [OM] OT - Maxwell Smart

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - Maxwell Smart
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgonzalezgentile@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 23:18:14 -0200
Cc: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
2010/1/4 Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Fernando Gonzalez Gentile wrote:
>> Already reformatted it, using Windows - didn't thought of Partition Magic.
>>

> You have confused two separate parts of HD organization, thinking as
> though they are one, which inevitably leads to confusion.

No, I don't think I had confused things at this basic level, although
I wouldn't have been able to explain it as clearly as you did even in
Spanish. I had those concepts quite clearly understood.

>> The virtual CD (VCD) icon, containing Smartware (G:), still shows up
>> together with the local disk icon (H:), which is My Book.
>>

> In your case, the HD is divided into two separate partitions, identified
> in your current hardware/OS configuration as G: and H:. You may format
> either or both of them, thus wiping out the data, and you may rename
> them, but if you want the whole disk to be one partition for
> straightforward BU use, you will need to repartition the HD, then format
> the resulting, single partition.*

Well, that is ....  that is what I was trying to say: I didn't know
Partition Magic could wipe off G: !!
Since I had reformatted using Windows utility, but in a rather
straightforward way and G: remained, I thought Windows couldn't delete
partition G., but later today I studied this more carefully anf found
out how to do it (I already had done so, but forgotten) - in fact G:
is so small that doesn't bother me.
But I was worried it could be making the OS do the error I got when
trying to stop the USB HDD.
Then, finally - I understood how to stop it.

***Nonetheless, devmgmt.msc shows a big yellow _?_ at 'Other Devices:
WD SES Device USB Device' _ and such a question mark does puzzle me !
:-)***

> Some of your problems/questions make me wonder. Have you installed the
> XP Service Packs? I think current is SP3.
Yes, XP SP3 and automatic updates - and went to see if there were
'hotfixes' for the USB ports, as WD FAQ suggests ...

Moose, I did my homework this morning,
It took me a while to understand a paragraph I had already identified
as difficult for me to understand.

But the big yellow question mark is still there ... can send you a
small screenshot of it if you wish <g>.

Thanks a lot.

Fernando.

> Moose
>
> * BTW, Passports, and possibly My Books, are also sold without DumbWare
> and set up as only one partition, although that may not be true in
> Uruguay.
No, this is the only model available, and the best brand you can buy here.