Re: [OM] OT - Maxwell Smart

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - Maxwell Smart
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 15:56:09 -0800
Fernando Gonzalez Gentile wrote:
> Already reformatted it, using Windows - didn't thought of Partition Magic.

You have confused two separate parts of HD organization, thinking as
though they are one, which inevitably leads to confusion.

1. Partitioning is the primary level of organization. It defines a
physical HD as one or more virtual disks.

2. Formatting is the secondary level of organization. It operates on
only one partition at a time, establishing directory type and laying out
the individual pieces of the disk to which the directory structure
points. It is possible, and not uncommon, for different partitions on
the same physical drive to be formatted with different directory
organization schemes.

3. A common third level of organization is the assignment by the OS of
letters to individual, formatted drive partitions. Because of the other
drive letters already assigned by your local XP, the letters assigned to
the external HD are G: and H:, but if attached to another computer, they
could be different.

> The virtual CD (VCD) icon, containing Smartware (G:), still shows up together
> with the local disk icon (H:), which is My Book.

In your case, the HD is divided into two separate partitions, identified
in your current hardware/OS configuration as G: and H:. You may format
either or both of them, thus wiping out the data, and you may rename
them, but if you want the whole disk to be one partition for
straightforward BU use, you will need to repartition the HD, then format
the resulting, single partition.*

This may all be done with Windoze alone, but if you already have
Partition Magic, that's probably easier.

> Right now my problem is that I cannot stop it when I want to ... must shut
> down the whole computer.

Some of your problems/questions make me wonder. Have you installed the
XP Service Packs? I think current is SP3.

Moose

* BTW, Passports, and possibly My Books, are also sold without DumbWare
and set up as only one partition, although that may not be true in
Uruguay. There are also other brands of external HD that aren't as silly
in their bundled stuff. :-)