Re: [OM] OT Ricoh, was Mac BS [was OT - new monitor setup]

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Ricoh, was Mac BS [was OT - new monitor setup]
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 01:06:17 +1100
I played with the new Ricoh for a while. Unimpressed.
I had it with the 50mm equiv. macro. That was slooooooow shooting.
Damn lens acts, well, like a macro in AF. Hunts through the whole
range and misses the spot and goes through it all again.
Manual focus ring is fly by wire so there's no feel and it keeps
turning even after you reach the end of travel.
And it misses the focus a lot - really a lot - in AF.
We're thinking 2 seconds or more shutter lag!
I have a collection of street shots with just the bum disappearing out
of frame - I gave up.
Oh, and the electronic finder is a bit like the GF-1 but nowhere near
as good as the E-P2 finder.
The other lens unit option at present is a zoom lens in front of a
small sensor - may as well buy a GX200 for that.
The next lens to be released is - wait for it - a 10x zoom on a small
sensor. Ho hum.

Considered opinion - they have stuffed up big time. Neat idea but
released with the wrong lenses.
They should have put it out with a wide prime on large sensor - 35mm
or 28mm. Then they could have said, "Hey look, you can have the
advantages of a Sigma DP-1 or 2, Leica X1, but still use it as a
'normal' camera if you want.
Even the ancient Minoltasplit body  compact which used the same idea
in 2000 came with a standard zoom and (drum roll) a wide prime. Oh,
and a 1 metre cable to link the body and lens units - neat.

Great idea, lousy execution. Bugger.
Of course it'll all make sense as soon as they release the projector,
the printer, the GPS...if they ever do.
One telling criticism I  missed until later reading - in the past,
when your sensor went obsolete, you uptraded your body for higher ISO,
resolution, etc. and kept the lenses. A good lens could outlast
generations of bodies. With this system, your dead/obsolete sensor
takes the lens down with it. Marketing heaven, consumer nightmare.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx