Re: [OM] Mac BS [was OT - new monitor setup]

Subject: Re: [OM] Mac BS [was OT - new monitor setup]
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgonzalezgentile@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 11:07:24 -0200
woah! - I'm lucky I got to sleep some 6 hours since my last post ....

Yes there seems to be three different issues (or four is you introduce
'shades of film vs. digital').

1- The monitor Joel bought and calibration strategies.
2- this led to a Mac <-> PC 'whisper', on which I said _no_ to an iMac
"toaster", but maybe yes to Mini / Pro models.
3- I commented both on the Spyder2Express and the Spyder3Elite
devices, and the current madness I was going through while attempting
to use my WD Passport / My Book HDD - both HDD are thought to work
either on Apple or Windows computers, regardless cable length.
4- I feel like chuckling a little, as partially I agree with anyone
who wrote on this point. Why so? I'm a most ignorant individual on
computers, and deep inside I don't like any. I began using the old
MacOS 6, 7, 8, and 9 - I got quite acquainted with them, and during
those years I was convinced that were far superior than the
contemporary Windows machines. I would have stopped using computers,
but life led me to start using my OM gear again, which led me to buy a
scanner with a powerful XP attached. Yes I believe I had to look under
the hood several times, which led me to look under the hood of Apple
computers too: both are toasters.
5- Two main factors led my love for Apple toasters to die: a)
contemporary Apple machines are not what they used to be, both on the
hardware and software sides of the coin. b) I met the 'new wave' of
Apple 'MacOS X youngster generation of users' - this would not apply
to anyone here, but I felt a deep disgust.

Finally, I hope I can make my new WD HDD to work without Maxwell
Smart. I really wish I could make it work more or less the same I used
to do with my old SCSI disks. Shall have to look under the hood again,
good thing on this is that complex things remain complex, no matter
how simple or elegant the Armani suit: a well dressed human body needs
to eat, to breathe, to go to the bathroom several times a day, all in
order to work properly.

Peace

Fernando.