Re: [OM] Mac BS [was OT - new monitor setup]

Subject: Re: [OM] Mac BS [was OT - new monitor setup]
From: khen lim <khen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 21:07:29 +0800
2009/12/31 Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>

> Andrew Fildes wrote:
> > In my experience, Macs are for people who want to get on with it and PC's
> for people who want to look under the hood first.
> >
> That is such BS. *I turn my computer on and it does stuff.* If it
> doesn't do enough stuff fast enough, I can buy a more powerful one. At least
> at prices here, I could spend the same amount and get a Mac that does
> the same stuff, but more slowly and/or less of it.

I think there's so much hype about the superiority of Macs over Windows PCs
in the past that many believe that one-upmanship still exists today. I have
been using ThinkPads for more than ten years. My current rig - a ThinkPad
T60 - still soldiers on. Often I leave it on for several weeks on end
without even powering it down. And it just goes on and on. Not a complaint
from it.
It's solid. It's well made. It's understated but it wins my admiration all
the time. Sure it doesn't look like it would sit nicely on Paris Hilton's
lap the way a Mac does and it'll probably look stupid next to her chihuahua
but hey, it costs me virtually nothing to run it.

> *There was a time, quite some time ago now, when Apples had
> better software for typography and artists. Long gone.* They look
> different on the outside and the OS interface looks a bit different and acts
> a a bit different, but they do the same stuff.

That was a looooooong loooooong time ago. In computer years, that's like
SEVERAL generations ago.

--
Khen Lim - Zone-10 LLC, Des Moines, Iowa, USA

"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards of people” - Emily
Cox
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them" - Walt
Disney