Re: [OM]IMG: Nathan's PAW 50: rain, light and seņoritas

Subject: Re: [OM]IMG: Nathan's PAW 50: rain, light and seņoritas
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 10:34:57 +0800
I think you get thick (not thin) emulsion when overexposed, with negative
the thicker the emulsion the more serious fading they have, especially the
brightly illuminated things like water wave. Blue (after scanned) is the
most affected channel for negative so all old scans look yellowish.

There are a few scenarios for the fading problem, one is the negative is
already damaged by the film processing, I have a few rolls that was damaged
by the same lab the time they were processed. The second one is the film was
not well washed (neutralized), fading happen very fast (3-10 years) after
processing. The third one is natural fading, it depends on the film type,
all films fade with time but the better processed one like my Beijing
negatives they were processed in 1984 and still not difficult to restore. I
had some bad ones with serious fading in less than ten years and they are
unable to restore unless you paint them.

Prints will be faded too, on the second shot, the blue sky near the horizon
and orange sea make me wonder if the color really close to real, of course I
could be wrong and I have never seen a rainbow from the seaside.

C.H.Ling