Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 50: rain, light and señoritas

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 50: rain, light and señoritas
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgonzalezgentile@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 01:14:35 -0200
HI C.H.,

2009/12/26 C.H.Ling <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I think you get thick (not thin) emulsion when overexposed,

Of course ... seems I'm always thinking 'positive'. :-)

> with negative
> the thicker the emulsion the more serious fading they have, especially the
> brightly illuminated things like water wave. Blue (after scanned) is the
> most affected channel for negative so all old scans look yellowish.

Fine, another thing I'm learning from you.
But let me point out that in this scene, the water waves were much
less bright than the sky.

It was a very unusual weather situation, a cold storm had just passed
through a hot summer day. It came from the East, and sunlight is
coming from the west.

Water is not at all blue, green or any other color oceanic water could
be thought as.
It's brown. It would take me long to explain why brown - but that's
the color it usually turns after a storm on very sandy beaches.

> There are a few scenarios for the fading problem, one is the negative is
> already damaged by the film processing, I have a few rolls that was damaged
> by the same lab the time they were processed. The second one is the film was
> not well washed (neutralized), fading happen very fast (3-10 years) after
> processing. The third one is natural fading, it depends on the film type,
> all films fade with time but the better processed one like my Beijing
> negatives they were processed in 1984 and still not difficult to restore. I
> had some bad ones with serious fading in less than ten years and they are
> unable to restore unless you paint them.

Well, one might expect any of these situations from Kodak Labs (they
were no longer Kodak, in fact ... ) in Uruguay during mid 90s ...

> Prints will be faded too, on the second shot, the blue sky near the horizon
> and orange sea make me wonder if the color really close to real, of course I
> could be wrong and I have never seen a rainbow from the seaside.

That's it .. it's not orange, C.H., it's light-brown !

:-)

Fernando.