Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 50: rain, light and señoritas

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 50: rain, light and señoritas
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgonzalezgentile@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 10:40:15 -0200
They are scratched in parallel to its long side, I didn't care to
asses if on the emulsion side or its base side as they are deep
scratches anyway, which were not removed using ViewScan with IR at its
maximum. Should try with NikonScan, as I found ICE was more effective
- had done it before but not on its 'fine' setting. OTOH, I'm becoming
more of a fan of VueScan: any feature disabled, it renders more
accurate colors than NikonScan (what a relief ! - my suspects on
hardware failure seem to have diminished).

On the emulsion side, there are areas (blotches) of 'grain' where
grain disappeared.

Overall, the negs are very 'thin' - as if overexposed.

I think it was, obviously, my fault: I hadn't stored C41s properly,
left them inside the nylon envelopes Kodak used to return them after
processing - but I'm pretty sure I didn't take them out since 1995 to
order new prints of them. So, the long scratches were done at Kodak
labs when processed. Think you can see them in the buildings' .jpg
despite resizing, alongside the rainbow's green - blue zones.

Older C41s left into their nylon envelopes, faint progressively but
don't scratch. They get thinner and thinner only.

My problem: I always shot slides after stopping with TriX. Jumped to
KM and/or KR when possible, but since 1994 my wife asked me to shoot
C41, in order to be able to show prints to our families, of photos
taken to our newborn daughter. Fortunately, an year later my mother
bought me a Sony8, therefore my daughter's life until her last school
years are recorded on Hi8, VHS (monophonic) and since recently on DVD5
- and on C41 and/or TMax400.

Once in a while, I found myself at the right time and place, but with
the wrong film loaded :-)

Anyway, during 1995 I could hardly find KM / KR here, and would have
used one of the various types of Ektachrome: type S and SW were not as
bad as the HC (IIRC) I was convinced to use during 1991 in Paris. It
was the first Ektachrome 100 I remember to have used, and that
third-stop seemed a wee-bit necessary when traveling with a small
tripod.

Merry Christmas list - I will be working at hospital tonight (someone
has to do it !)

Fernando.