Re: [OM] The Eye In The Woods

Subject: Re: [OM] The Eye In The Woods
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 21:56:23 -0800
Ken Norton wrote:
> As to Moose's image...  I spent a few minutes working with it and concluded
> that is a composition which doesn't warrant B&W conversion well. There is
> absolutely no way that I could fine to separate the little tree from the
> background. The background wasn't blurred enough to separate subject from
> background and the brightness level was also the same. I couldn't even pick a
> color to lighten or darken to separate the subject from the background.
> The image just flattens and doesn't have any dimensionality to it to give me
> anything to look at. Not being critical (OK, maybe a little), but the picture
> didn't do anything for me at all.

I agree. You could have just asked and I'd have told you that was the
case. It was an image I hadn't even bothered to process from RAW. It's
better in color, but nothing to get excited about.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Miscellaneous&image=_MG_0441cria.jpg>

I chose it for illustration simplly because it was one I found that was
filled with redwood foliage, so one could see what it looks like.

> I'm not picking on Moose, here.

Nor do I feel picked on.

> Trust me, I've got hundreds (if not a few thousand) B&W images that are
> exactly like that. It looked great in the
> viewfinder, but somehow it didn't translate to anything even remotely
> interesting in print and those that I think DO make it other people find
> BORING!

Yup, it was such a cute little redwood tree in person with human 3D
vision ...

Perhaps this will help. It's the shot just before the little tree.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Miscellaneous&image=_MG_0440criia.jpg>
And in B&W, there's no problem with differentiation of foreground and
background.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Miscellaneous&image=_MG_0440criiabw.jpg>

Moose