Re: [OM] An OT gadget of possible interest

Subject: Re: [OM] An OT gadget of possible interest
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 01:43:21 -0800
Chris Barker wrote:
> That might be a big "if", Moose, but I wish you luck; it seems like a good
> idea.

That's where user reviews are useful. they report on tha actuality of
using this stuff. Thre are actually a couple of competing solutions. One
is the same box with a different name, one  only sold by the maker and
with no reviews and the other some sort of Panasonic combo with cordless
phones.

This one is the one with good user reviews, including a couple who tried
another and ended up happy with this one. So sure, there's a risk, but I
can always send it back if it isn't good. I won't be canceling the
landline until we've tried it out.

> You can't use a landline telephone number with a mobile, in the UK,

Here, most telephone numbers are transferable, called "portable" here.
It was a political victory for consumer advocates.

> and most homes rely on the landline for their broadband.

The two come over the same wires, but may be separate for operational
and billing purposes. I could drop the telephone service and keep DSL.

Again, consumer advocates managed to force several provisions through
that providers didn't much like. Of course, it may cut both ways. My
cell provider benefits from my ability to take my long time home # with
me, but they are also a major landline provider in other areas, where
they may find customers moving because it's relatively easy.

Cable companies are major broadband providers in much, if not most of
the US. The "phone company" here will eventually run new, probably
optical, wiring into my area and will then offer both real high speed
internet access, but video services in competition with the cable
company. But I've been waiting a long time with no schedule.

It's all cyclical. A predecessor cable company was at first the only
broadband provider where I live. Then DSL became available while cable
didn't increase capacity to keep up with traffic and things slowed down,
so I switched to the then superior DSL. Two owners later, cable has run
optical fiber here and has much faster service, according to a neighbor,
as well as their ads.

Moose