Re: [OM] ACR in PSE 8.0 was: Who in the world writes this junk? - Raw so

Subject: Re: [OM] ACR in PSE 8.0 was: Who in the world writes this junk? - Raw software rant.
From: Candace Lemarr <CandaceRocks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 08:07:21 -0700
  Hi Joel, I will reply inline below:

Joel Wilcox wrote:

> That looks good, Candace!
Thank you! :-)
> I spent a couple hours today going through
> my back catalog of E-3 images and re-doing many I had converted with
> LR when I first got the camera, this time using Studio2.  It continues
> to be a revelation to me to do that.
I have many images that I would do the same with if I had the time. And
perhaps I will, a bit here and there.
Do you know what the main differences are between Master 2 and Studio? I
think that somewhere I have a trial version of Studio on disc. Somewhere.
> One of the things that sticks in
> my craw is that Dpreview deliberately avoids using the dedicated
> software to convert RAW files when reviewing a new camera.  The only
> thing I can say for that practice is that if it is unfair to Olympus,
> it must be equally unfair to all the rest as well -- not that keeping
> score on such things does any good.

I agree with you. I've spent a lot of time reading opinions on RAW
converters online and looking at sample images. I have wondered the same
thing about reviews and about DPReview specifically.
> I haven't messed with Master very much since I bought Studio, but I've
> posted elsewhere that FastStone works very well for me as a file
> manager/viewer.  It can probably be configured to open an image
> directly in Master's RAW converter.

It can, indeed. I just added Olympus Master 2 to my list of external programs
to open from within FastStone. I've used FastStone for about 4 years, and I
would hate to think of not having it, it has become familiar and simple to use.

> Studio allows me the option of
> saving the converted TIFF file and opening it in PS.  My motto in RAW
> conversion is "Do no harm," so I make few changes, saving LCE, final
> levels and curves, and sharpening for PS.  I have actions/macros
> developed that help me speed through LCE, sharpening, conversion to
> 8bit, and saving to jpg.  It's not too bad a workflow and I feel it
> gives me the quality I want from taking the time to do one-off RAW
> conversions.

Thank you for this, Joel. It is very helpful to see the work-flow that
someone is using successfully.
Candace