Re: [OM] How to whiten yellow teeth in PhotoShop in 10 seconds flat

Subject: Re: [OM] How to whiten yellow teeth in PhotoShop in 10 seconds flat
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 15:27:03 -0800
Andrew Fildes wrote:
> Yeah - I never seem to get masks quite right so I just gave up and did it the
> slow way.

I've spent some time developing my ability to mask accurately. The Quick
Selection Tool, added in CS3, is a huge step forward, probably my most
used selection tool. Like many other PS tools, one must learn a bit
about the tool options to get optimum use and results.

The other "trick" is to learn how the Refine Edges dialog box works to
determine how the edges of a selection are drawn. If those settings are
wrong, it's often impossible to get the right selection. The choice of
which way to mask can be crucial as well. Whether I mask the sky or the
land makes a difference in how I work and the results.

I think the learning time has been worth it in time saved later.

I have had a type of impatience that hasn't always served me well. If,
for example, I want to paint a room, I want to get out paint, rollers
and brushes and start painting. Watching real pros at various forms of
art and craft, I've learned that preparation that usually takes longer,
often much longer, than the actual act, is the key to good results. I
still have the impatience, but at least am aware of it.

I think the same thing applies to work in PS. Learning one's tools and
setting them up correctly before applying them is key to good results
with the least effort and, in the end, the shortest time possible for
quality results. Whenever I shortcut, I can see it in the results.

Moose