Re: [OM] E-P2 to be announced tomorrow

Subject: Re: [OM] E-P2 to be announced tomorrow
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 00:05:34 -0800 (PST)
<they simply thought digital market was not going to be so successful>

David,
         I think that Kodak saw the writing on the wall very early, but had no
idea about how to make a business out of the digital camera market. They were
absolutely pioneers in developing the basic Digital camera technology.
Fairchild developed the basic  CCD image sensor in 1973 for industrial use, but
Kodak built the very first proto-type digital-camera in 1975, using a Fairchild
sensor with 10k B&W pixels.

Sony built the first real portable p/s "electronic camera" in 1981 but it was
not a digital camera it recorded analog sensor signals, like video analog
recording but a single frame.

If you look at the very first pro-digital (SLR) cameras (1.3Mpixel) they were
all Kodak cameras starting in 1991 and built mainly on Nikon bodies using Kodak
sensors.  see details here
:  http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/Kodak/index.htm ; It took 8
years (1999) before a major camera vendor introduced an in house DSLR (Nikon
D1, 2 Mpixels)

Kodak  developed a huge amount of early digital camera/sensor IP, mainly on CCD
technology. This included the Beyer sensor layout named after the Kodak
scientist who developed it, and which is used by all manufacturers now, except
Foveon.  Also consumer things like Photo-cd.  Fairly early on Sony,  developed
a lot of CCD IP too, particularly in very fine pixel sensors for video cameras
with built in electronic rolling shutters etc.

Recently of course (2000 on), Canon and others have developed innovative CMOS
sensor technology as well, but Kodak had actually seen the writing on the wall
many years before , they just did not know how to transition from film
and create a new electronic camera mass market business.  My guess is the
company was split internally too, and had difficulty deciding to go whole hog
and cannibalize the old business.

Tim Hughes