Re: [OM] "Way Beyond Monochrome," anyone has a copy?

Subject: Re: [OM] "Way Beyond Monochrome," anyone has a copy?
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 08:37:50 +0200
On 04 Nov 2009, at 8:37 PM, Richard Man wrote:

<snip>
> ...especially when it comes to split grade printing (yes, I know
> it's a
> controversial subject by itself).
<snip>

I have never quite understood why it's so controversial. I use it
exclusively as my
current technique, and I can fully admit that you can achieve exactly
the same image
with a single correctly-chosen contrast filter.

What I have however never been able to do, is reliably nail the
exposure / contrast without using
any fancy darkroom light meters, using only two small tests strips,
with single grade printing.
I imagine if you are experienced enough, maybe you can, but I imagine
it would take at least 4+ tries
to guess the right contrast filter and exposure.

With split-grade printing, I can, so in my case, it saves me a huge
amount of paper.

Dawid