Re: [OM] OT: Printers

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Printers
From: Candace Lemarr <CandaceRocks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 15:58:32 -0600
This is a re-send of the same email, I don't know why it isn't
formatting correctly, I did not write it all ,umped together as the list
is showing it.
My apologies for the double post.

This is totally off topic, but there is so much knowledge here that I am
hoping someone can help me with a not so fun problem I am having.

I need a new home printer, I will give some background in a moment.

The printer needs to print "decent" photos for proof sheets and home
snapshots. All professional printing I have done at a lab.
The printer needs to print on CDs/DVDs.
The printer cannot be an HP, unless someone knows something that
counters my experience, as my experience is that the cd/dvd print
software is absolutely horrible, no flexibility, you cannot change fonts
or font size, or move text and images around. You are locked into their
print layout.

Over the past 6 years, for home photo printing and cd/dvd printing I
have used Epson printers. The first one was a very basic model that
lasted about 5 years, not one problem, until one day my computer
announced "your Epson printer has reached the end of it's life cycle."
and that was the end of that.

I then purchased the Epson Artisan 700. I absolutely loved it. Not one
single problem with it. Until, one day, after not quite 7 months of
usage, it simply would not feed any paper other than plain white paper.
Nothing. Epson's customer service was/is non-existent, and I returned
the printer to Sam's Club for a full refund, as I had purchased the
Sam's Club warranty for a very minimal fee. As is often the case, no one
in town sold the Artisan 700 anymore. This was on September 27th of this
year.

I had/have 2 entire sets of cartridges full of Claria ink, the 99 and 98
series. The only printer in this town that used those as of September
27th was the very new Epson Artisan 810 at Office Depot. It wasn't even
listed in their store yet, or out on the shelves, but a salesperson had
seen them come in and got one for me to look at. I decided to purchase
it. Well, today, it died the exact same death as the Artisan 700. After
an hour long phone conversation with Epson, in which I was treated like
a complete moron until they decided that I just might be right about the
fact that the printer wasn't working, Epson so kindly (heavy sarcasm)
offered to ship me a replacement. I asked if it would be a new model or
a refurbished one, and the implication the conversation gave was that if
they didn't have a refurbished one, then I would get a new one. But
first, I would need to give them my credit card so they could charge me
for the new one, and then refund my money after they received my broken
one in return. I was no where near ok with that solution. I called
Office Depot, was told they had one in stock and that I could exchange
mine. I went down there, and the "one they had in stock" was the display
unit that they were not allowed to sell to me. (One wonders what is
wrong with people these days, but that's another topic for another day).
After some dithering, they decided they would refund me my money, even
though I had the printer for more than 14 days. (??!!) I had purchased
the extended warranty, so they wanted to ship it off for repairs, not
refund my money. The only printer they had that would do photos and
print on CDs/DVDs is an HP, again, the CD print software that comes with
the HP is horrible, in my opinion. In fact, all comments I can find
online about HP's cd print software confirms that opinion.

Anyhow...so here I am, stuck, with no printer.

Does anyone have personal experience, recommendations, warnings, etc
that I can consider?
You have no idea how sorely tempted I was to chuck that Artisan 810
through my front window, but this would have only caused me more
frustration. It would seem that one should get more than 3 weeks use out
of something one paid more than $300.00 for. I am rather frustrated.

On another note, I have had two different salespeople tell me recently
that "rollers drying out and not working anymore is a real problem in
Colorado". Is there any truth at all to this?

If you bother reading this and replying, I thank you in advance.

A very frustrated Candace in Colorado.

Candace