Re: [OM] 80/4.0 Macro resolving power?

Subject: Re: [OM] 80/4.0 Macro resolving power?
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 14:29:34 +0100
Hi Moose, Dawid and all,

From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Carlos J. Santisteban wrote:
> From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>> I need massive resolving power at around 1:2,
>>

> That's interesting, because I'm planning to "scan" slides with my new GF1
and the 80/4!

I've tried that with 80/4 Auto, Auto Bellows and Slide Copier attachment
on the 5D. I was pretty impressed with the results. On old slides, the
results were as good as a 4000 dpi film scanner

I tried with the 300D, too. My TOPE 20 entry was "scanned" that way: <
http://www.tope.nl/tope_show_entry.php?event=20&pic=30>

I don't have a dedicated film scanned, I only have the 9950F, thus I think
it could be surpassed easily.

>On new film, both slide and color
>neg., the scanner did resolve more detail, but there would be little or
>no noticeable difference at any but large viewing sizes.

My main concern, however, is not resolution/sharpness, but shadow
detail/dynamic range. With the camera setup, I can easily "overexpose" the
darker slides (if the auto exposure didn't that already) in order to "see"
some shadow detail out of the scanner's reach. I could even bracket and make
some sort of HDR. The contrast was a bit high direct from the camera.

>In the end, it was more trouble than using a scanner, as the camera and
>film handling requires constant involvement. The scanner is slower
>overall, but once loaded, works without supervision.

You're right, but then there's the post-processing time to make things much
closer each other. Probably not worth with a decent, dedicated film scanner,
but I should give it a (second) try -- with the GF1 ;-)

Cheers,

>BTW, I used my little, fluorescent light table/viewer as the light
>source and found color fidelity to the original slides very good.

As replied in other thread... what is the _real_ color on the slides? I'd
use some kind of black-body illuminant, even a conventional tungsten bulb.

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)