Re: [OM] 80/4.0 Macro resolving power?

Subject: Re: [OM] 80/4.0 Macro resolving power?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 21:13:49 -0700
Carlos J. Santisteban wrote:
> From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>> I need massive resolving power at around 1:2,
>>

> That's interesting, because I'm planning to "scan" slides with my new GF1 and
> the 80/4!

I've tried that with 80/4 Auto, Auto Bellows and Slide Copier attachment
on the 5D. I was pretty impressed with the results. On old slides, the
results were as good as a 4000 dpi film scanner - the film, and probably
old lenses, were the limiting factor. On new film, both slide and color
neg., the scanner did resolve more detail, but there would be little or
no noticeable difference at any but large viewing sizes.

In the end, it was more trouble than using a scanner, as the camera and
film handling requires constant involvement. The scanner is slower
overall, but once loaded, works without supervision.

BTW, I used my little, fluorescent light table/viewer as the light
source and found color fidelity to the original slides very good.

Moose